I finished assembling the wrap holder this past weekend, sanded it to 180 grit, and it’s now ready for staining.
The wrap holder took much more time than I initially thought it would to create mostly because I had to edge glue three 1/2″ x 6″ oak boards together to make the front and back sides the required width. I didn’t notice until after the glue-up the slight variations in the thickness of each of the boards. My planer isn’t wide enough to send the edge glued assemble through to correct the problem and it was too severe to try and clean up with a hand plane, so I ripped them in half again so they would fit through the planer. After thickness planing the four pieces to the same dimensions I once again edge glued them back together to form the front and back.
If I were to make another one of these I would probably look at using plywood rather than trying to edge glue stock hardwood together the way I did as there is quite a lot of waste after making the cutouts in the front and back for access to the wraps.
All in all I’m happy with the results. Now I just have to get up the nerve to stain it!