I’ve been busy with other tasks lately so I haven’t had a chance to work on the tack trunk, but today I finally found some time and added the top edging to the plywood carcase and also milled, drilled, glued, and screwed (that’s a mouthful) the tray supports and the shelf supports to the plywood carcase.
I used the solid hardwood top edging to hide the top edge of the plywood carcase. The top edging will extend about 1/2 inch above the top trim (which I haven’t added yet) so that it will help to make a dust seal for the lid. I used miter joints between each top edging piece and edge glued them to the plywood top using biscuits to strengthen the joint.
For the tray and shelf supports I used hardwood stock also that I needed to plane down slightly to make a good fit in the dado that I had cut earlier in the carcase. I used glue and countersunk screws to secure the supports. I also milled the divider top edging but ran out of time before I could secure it.
The next steps are to create the lid and the top trim pieces (Which I plan on cutting directly from the lid). I plan on working on the lid tomorrow. Check back to see the results. Thanks for reading !